Whitewater Rafting the Tambopata Jungle 09 days
icon-angle-double-down Duration: 09 Days
icon-angle-double-right Type: Adventure Peru Treks, River Rafting Tours
icon-angle-double-up Destinations: Jungle Amazon, Juliaca, Tambopata River, Puerto Maldonado, Cusco
Whitewater rafting peru – Rafting the Jungle Amazon
This unique whitewater rafting expedition takes place in one of the most remote corners of the Peruvian rainforest. The Tambopata/ Candamo Natural Reserve, at the edge of the Amazon Basin, is near the Bolivian and Brazilian borders. This trip has all of the ingredients of an epic and unforgettable ¨journey of a lifetime¨
Our expedition starts on the shores of Titicaca Lake, the highest navigable lake in the world at 15,480 meters above sea level. From the town of Juliaca, we travel across the altiplano into high tropical rain forest where we begin our rafting journey. We’ll leave behind the last signs of pioneer farmers, gold-panners and human settlements and enter the magical and mysterious world of the Amazon Rainforest. For seven days we’ll raft through a natural habitat seeing a high diversity of plants and animals, including 8 species of macaws, 13 species of monkeys, 530 species of birds, ocelot, jaguar, capybara, tapir, caiman, and the giant river otter
We’ll run Class III and IV rapids before arriving at the famous macaw lick. Waking-up at our campsite at dawn, we have a perfect view of these magnificent birds. From here we’ll begin our return journey by a motorized dugout canoe to the frontier town of Puerto Maldonado and then by airplane to Cusco.
Tour: Whitewater Rafting the Jungle (09 Days - 08 Nights)
- Day 01: Juliaca – Amazon Basin.
- Days 02 and 03: Tambopata River
- Days 04,05,06,07,08: Tambopata River Rafting.
- Day 09 : Puerto Maldonado Cusco
Day 01: Juliaca – Amazon Basin.Greeting in Juliaca and board the bus that will take us across the altiplano and over a 5,000m pass down to the jungle. Here we will be ready to ready to put-in at the edge of the Amazon Basin. (B/L/D)
Days 02-03: Tambopata River.As we leave the last traces of civilization behind us we'll enter a pristine rain forest using the river as our "highway". We will raft down the Tambopata River camping on sandy beaches where we will have a chance to encounter diverse wildlife. (B/L/D)
Days 04,05,06,07,08: Tambopata River Rafting.Surrounded by lush vegetation, we will run class III and IV rapids. There is a good chance of seeing monkeys, capybaras, tapirs and giant river otters, among other animals. Our journey will take us through the macaw lick where we will spend the night camping on the river shore. At the crack of dawn we will see a rowdy crowd of macaws with their variegated brilliance spattering the clay riverbank. Later a dugout motor canoe will meet us to take us to the frontier town of Puerto Maldonado where we will spend the night in a hotel. End of our services (B/L).
Day 09: Puerto Maldonado Cusco.Early morning flight from Puerto Maldonado to Cusco. At this point, you can take an optional trips in Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley.
- All rafting equipment (self -bailing rafts).
- Professional guides, cooks etc.
- Transportation from Juliaca to the river
- Double occupancy tents.
- All meals while on the trip
- Flights to Juliaca or from Puerto Maldonado.
- Meals while in the cities
- Personal equipment and clothing.
What to Bring:
- UV chap-stick
- Sleeping bag, mattress
- Extra socks (4 pairs)
- Warm clothes for the night (fleece, long pants)
- Light clothes for rafting
- Fold-up lightweight rain gear / poncho
- Collapsible umbrella for rain and shade
- Waterproof day back pack for water and personal items
- Trekking shoes
- Non-disposable water bottle (stainless steel)
- Water purification tablets (Micropur available in Cusco)
- Insect repellent
- Small travel binoculars
- Toilet paper for your backpack
- Pocket knife
- Brimmed hat
- Small notebook and pen (notes for your blog and wildlife sketches)
- Small tone
- Bathing suit
- Foam ear plugs. For long bus rides and better rest.
- Treat shoes with waterproof silicon spray before leaving home
- Personal clothing for trek, extra socks and t-shirts
- Lighter / matches ziploc plastic with hiking energy food
- Ziploc plastic bags to keep clothes dry