Altitude Sickness Natural Remedies Perú
What is altitude sickness?
Altitude sickness occurs when you cannot get enough oxygen from the air at high altitudes. This causes symptoms such as a headache, loss of appetite, and trouble sleeping. It happens most often when people who are not used to high altitudes go quickly from lower altitudes to 8000 ft (2438 m) or higher. For example, you may get a headache when you drive over a high mountain pass, hike to a high altitude, or arrive at a mountain resort.
Mild altitude sickness is common. Experts do not know who will get it and who will not. Neither your fitness level nor being male or female plays a role in whether you get altitude sickness.
Altitude sickness can be dangerous. It is smart to take special care if you go high-altitude hiking or camping (like in the Rockies, or Andes) or have plans for a vacation or trek in high-altitude countries like Peru, or Ecuador.
Symptoms of altitude sickness
- Severe headache
- Fatigue or physical exhaustion
- Languor and dryness of the mouth
- Feeling dizzy
- Sleep disorder
- Nausea and vomiting
- Mild nosebleeds
- Digestive disorders
- Lack of appetite
- Physical exhaustion
- Sometimes depression
- Sudden nighttime dyspnea, choking sensation
On the other hand if you plan to travel to the central jungle or Peruvian sierra, you must be prepared for altitude sickness. There are many mountains, snow covered peaks, historical sanctuaries in elevated areas, very high Andean mountain valleys, high altitude viewpoints, thermal baths, Andean ancestral churches, Wanka areas, punas and many more. There are high altitude regions such as Junín, Ayacucho, Apurímac, Arequipa, Puno, Cusco, Pasco, Huancavelica, Huánuco, Cajamarca and many other regions.
One of the regions most frequented by national and international travelers is the region of Cusco. Upon arrival, many of them plan to go to the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu and do not plan their walks correctly. Many travelers take day tours over a few days in a row without resting, breathing thoughtfully enough nor taking into consideration the altitude and intend to do all this without rest. Some even arrive to Cusco and don’even some begin their journey when arriving in the city of Cusco. Remember to be careful, drink the coca tea, eat lightly and not to exert yourselves the first 24 hours after you arrive to a high altitude location.
Altitude Sickness Natural Remedies
- As much as possible, take time for the ascent, because acclimatization is essential. From 3,000 meters, it is not recommended to climb more than 300 meters per day.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid salty foods and consume others rich in carbohydrates and natural sugars such as fruits, cereals and grains.
- Restrict physical activities until the body has adapted.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol your first day.
- Sleep at an altitude lower than the one during the day. For example, if you skied at an altitude of 3,000 meters during the day, try to sleep the night before and the later to no more than 2,600 meters.
- Avoid alcohol, which increases the risk of dehydration, and sedatives, which reduce the respiratory rate.
- In Peru and Bolivia the coca leaves help. Candies, tea or simply chewing the leaf will mitigate the symptoms.
- Medications: There are over the counter altitude sickness pills that are bought without a prescription. Start to take before gaining height and continue taking one every 12 hours. They help blood flow and increase respiratory capacity and are economic, but attention, they do not do magic; Only help.
- And always remember this advice that is usually given to “travelers to the heights”: “drink before you get thirsty, eat before being hungry, shelter before being cold and rest before exhaustion.” Since in the height the brain delays in giving the warnings. This is why when you feel thirsty you may already be suffering from dehydration.
You can also see: Kylie Jenner gets emergency oxygen by altitude
- Machu Picchu is one of the 25 most popular attr...
- What is altitude sickness? Altitude sickness oc...
- Kylie Jenner suffered from altitude sickness an...
Peru is awarded as the Best Tourist Destination of the Americas at Shanghai World Travel Fair Fair 2017Peru continues to reap achievements abroad. Per...