Inti Raymi or Festival of the Sun (one day) June 24th 2015
The Inti Raymi or the Festival of the Sun takes place each year in Cusco Peru on June 24. It is an all day festival to celebrate the lengthening of the days and to welcome the sun back closer to the earth. In the morning the Inca gives a welcome to the people from Koricancha, The Temple of the sun before he and his wife are carried out and presented to the people amongst much fanfare.
|Category:||Special Packages and Holidays in Peru, Culture/History, Train Journey|
|Destinations:||Cusco, Koricancha Temple, Sacsayhuaman – Grand Ceremony and Start of the Sun Festival|
Inti Raymi – Festival of the Sun (one day) Cusco, June 24th 2015
Cusco, June 24th
Machu picchu Tour Cusco, Perú is the site of Latin America’s second largest festival. The Inti Raymi is celebrated every year on June 24th and was once the most important festival of the Incan empire – Tawantinsuyu.
Now that you’ve visited the great Incan architectural achievements it will be apparent to you that the Sun was the main deity worshiped in the Inca culture. In today’s Inti Raymi Festival all of the significant Sun Festival rituals are re-enacted (don’t worry, the llama sacrifices are simulated!).
This special day also includes The New Fire Celebration. No fires were allowed in the city this day until the fire created by hollow mirror was used to concentrate the sunlight onto animal fur and kindling. Only then were all other fires started from this source. You will also see the Inca representative carried on a litter and toasted with chicha (a fermented drink). In an the appropriate finale, The Inca gives a speech in the native Quechua language.
Inti Raymi Festival Itinerary:
- 08:30 AM Transfer to Koricancha Temple.
- 09:00 AM Ceremony in Koricancha: 45 minutes.
- 10:30 AM Ceremony in the Main Square. Arrival of the Inca and Court: 1 hour.
- 01:00 PM Transfer to Sacsayhuaman for Grand Ceremony and Start of the Sun Festival Return to Hotel.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information.
- Tips – Laundry Service
- Phone calls
- Travel Insurance
- Meals not specifically listed in the itinerary
- Baggage porterage
- Credit Card surcharges, Bank money transfer or PayPal fees for payment.
- Charges not listed specifically in itinerary
Peru luxury Tours
Peru Adventure Treks
- Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu (2 Days)
- Inca Trail to Machu Picchu (03 Days)
- Classic Inca Trail to Machu Picchu (04 Days)
- Inca Trail Huaynapicchu Mountain (05 Days)
- Sacred Valley Tour and Inca Trail (5 Days)
- Salkantay Trekking to Machu Picchu (05 Days)
- Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu (07 Days)
- Choquequirao Trek (04 Days)
- Choquequirao Trek to Machu Picchu (05 Days)
- Lares Trek to Machu Picchu (04 Days)
Peru Classic Tour
Peru Tour Packages
Luxury Travel Latin America
Yes, we made it home just fine. Again, thank you for setting up a remarkable trip. Sandi and I had the greatest experience of our life, worth every penny and more :) You guys were so much more than a Travel Agency and it was like visiting friends. THANKS!!!!
Itinerary of our clients
Cusco, Machu PIcchu, Colca Canyon and Titicaca lake Tours
Awesome!! Our guides spoke excellent English and we were taken care of everyday. We saw a lot of tourist wandering around looking bored in Cusco but ILE Tours arranged everyday with transportation, tours and a personal touch that we felt like we hit the jackpot. HIghly recommend. Great price too!!
Itinerary of our clients