Mountain Bike Abra Malaga, Hot Springs, Machu Picchu 04 Days
icon-angle-double-down Duration: 4 Days
icon-angle-double-right Type: Adventure Peru Treks
icon-angle-double-up Destinations: Cusco, Abra Malaga bike, Thermal Springs Santa Teresa, Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu
Abra Malaga bike tour, Thermal Hot Springs Santa Teresa, Machu Picchu
This is a fantastic biking route through beautiful landscapes of mountains, jungle and valleys. Enjoy the thermal hot springs after seeing various vegetation, fauna, fruit plantations and exotic birds and animals. Finally arrive at one of the New Wonders of the World Machu picchu.
Abra Malaga bike tour, Thermal Hot Springs Santa Teresa, Machu Picchu 04 Days
- Day 01: Cusco - Ollantaytambo - Abra Malaga - Santa maria.
- Day 02: Santa Maria - Thermal Springs - Santa Teresa.
- Day 03: Santa Teresa - Hydroelectric - Aguas Calientes.
- Day 04: Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu - Cusco.
Day 01: Cusco - Ollantaytambo - Abra Malaga - Santa maria.7AM hotel pickup for the ride to Abra Malaga, (Malaga Pass). We'll journey through the Sacred Valley of the Incas and see panoramic views of Cusco as we head north. As we pass by the towns of Chinchero, Urubamba, and Ollantaytambo we'll see the mountain chain Veronica. After 3 hours we'll arrive at Abra Malaga at 4,315 meters (14239 ft.) From here we'll start our adventure on mountain bikes passed beautiful landscapes like the immense La Convención Valley then down a warmer area near the jungle's eyebrow with abundant typical jungle vegetation. We'll have lunch in the jungle on and on our path we'll find remnants of an original Inca trail that leads to Machu picchu. We'll also visit the archaeological sites of Inkatambo and Wamanmarka. After 5 hours of biking we'll arrive to Santa Maria at 1,200 meters at around 5pm. Here we will stay in a lodge with basic services for the night. ( L - D )
Day 02: Santa Maria - Thermal Hot Springs - Santa Teresa.In the morning we'll have a breakfast of fruit and juices typical of the region. We'll start to hike at 7:30am through fruit trees where we'll see the cultivation of the sacred Coca leaf of the Incas and the harvesting of coffee. We'll see the flora and fauna of the area as well as medicinal plants, birds, butterflies, snakes, exotic jungle fruits like mangoes, pineapples, papayas, avocado and more. Later we'll visit a local family and appreciate the beautiful waterfalls of the area. We will cross a river in an Oroya or hanging basket by pulling on the cable that the basket hangs from. We'll also visit the archaeological complex of Inka Carcel and the thermal springs where you can take a nice hot bath. Afterwards we will arrive in Santa Teresa village at 1,570 meters where we will have dinner and stay for the night. ( B - L - D )
Day 03: Santa Teresa - Hydroelectric - Aguas Calientes.After breakfast we will see the Mandor waterfalls, San Miguel and Putucusi mountains before crossing he Vilcanota River in a typical Oroya. We can appreciate the magical, wild landscape, the variety of birds, animals, vegetation, insects, iguanas, butterflies and medicinal plants. We'll arrive to the hydroelectric plant and have lunch before continuing on to Aguas Calientes for another 2 hours. In Aguas Calientes we'll check-in to our hostel, have dinner and rest for the night. (Optional train transportation is available from hydroelectric plant to Aguas Calientes). ( B - L - D)
Day 04: Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu - Cusco.Early in the morning we'll wake up to visit a wonder of the modern world, the citadel of Machu Picchu. After breakfast we'll board our bus to go up the hill to the Machu Picchu entrance. We will have a guided tour of the entire complex then have free time to explore and take pictures. It is optional if you want to climb Huaynapicchu to see another spectacular view of the Machu picchu and the mountains surrounding the Lost City of the Incas. We will descend to Aguas Calientes by bus in time to board the afternoon train back to Cusco. ( B )
- Bus from CUZCO-ABRA MALAGA
- Machu picchu Entrance Ticke
- Bus from Aguas Calientes – Machu picchu – Aguas Calientes
- Backpacker Class Train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco
- Meals: 03 breakfasts, 03 lunches, 03 dinners
- Vegetarian meals available at NO extra charge
- Mountain Bike, Helmet, Gloves and accessories/parts
- Professional tourist guide in English or Spanish
- First aid team and assistance of a vehicle during the descent of Abre Malaga – Santa Maria
- Transfer from train station to hotel NOTE: During the walk you must carry your sleeping bag and personal items (backpack).You can request the availability of a horse at an additional cost to carry personal items.
What to Bring:
- UV lip protection
- Reading glasses
- Brimmed hat
- Trekking shoes
- Insect repellent
- Pocket knife
- Lighters / matches
- Small travel binoculars
- Toilet paper (buy in)
- Small towel
- Waterproof day back pack for clothes and personal items
- Lightweight plastic rain gear or poncho to fit over you and your backpack
- Collapsible umbrella for rain and shade
- Non-disposable water bottle (stainless steel)
- Water purification tablets (Micropur available in Cusco)
- Small notebook and pen (notes for your blog, sketches)
- Foam ear plugs. Good for long bus rides and better rest. S. America is noisy.
- Imodium-D (you won't need it but its better to have it)
- White sports tape
- Treat shoes with waterproof silicon spray before leaving home
- Personal clothing for trek, extra socks
- Waterproof hiking pants
- Don't wear jeans
- Ziploc plastic with hiking energy food
- Ziploc plastic bags to keep clothes dry
- Personal sub-zero sleeping bag (available for rent) if hiking
- Passport: to receive Machu Picchu souvenir stamp